I have an idea...

Better UI for Forum Threads

Merrill suggested,

Assuming it's feasible, one way of going about what I'm thinking about is coding that forum to behave differently.

Rough sketch of what I'd like to see:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Helvius/exampleofsomething.png

Mature
Work in Progress
Alternate Universe

Either make the initial poster capable of picking two or three tags, in addition to the story's rating, or perhaps experiment with allowing the DLP membership as a whole being able to adjust the story. Each poster (who actually reviews) is able to select one or two tags that have a very easily understood symbol associated with it. After 5 or so reviews, the forum automatically adds the symbol next to the story in thread-view (as pictured above). The above is an example of perhaps an alternate universe symbol. You could do the whole "user deciding thing"s with the rating of the story as well; each reviewer could select what he feels the story's rating is.

My main thrust is streamlining and unifying the process by which stories are reviewed, tagged and added to the library. Basically Apple-fying the library and making it more accessible. That way the new user and the casual user can easily understand it. Hovering over any symbol should give you the meaning in that bubble script thingy (have no idea what it is, but it is yellow).

A story shouldn't be clogged with symbols so only the top 2 or 3 tags would result in a symbol being generated near the title of the story.

In addition to that, and borrowing this idea from Ashaya, although she was really only speaking of the contest entries, there needs to be an ability for the user to see the summary without ever having to click on the thread. Perhaps a little [+] symbol next to the title that would expand that box in thread-view and give you a 250 character summary (or whatever amount).

Just some ideas I'll kick into the thread.

145 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lord RavenclawAdminLord Ravenclaw (Administrator, Dark Lord Potter) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  · 

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)